Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday August 17

I continue to recover from jetlag while making new, insightful connections with the people around campus.

Yesterday was quite an adventure as we were divided into groups of 2 with a guide and made our way around the city.

I feel like I got a significant glimpse of what Casa has to offer, as well as a sunburn:) .

I want to post some pictures so you can see some of what I saw....

This is one of the areas of town that has a more western/ French clientel. You can see the little McDonalds sign. The people who shop here typically have money to spend and the stores tend to be very expensive. I did walk by a Cartier shop... I've really only seen those in the major cities in the US.


This is one of the old city gates that goes into a part of town called Old Medina. This gate is hundreds of years old and was used when the city was new and much smaller. Across the street is the port. I learned (because the police were telling me not to:) that the port is a government property and you cannot take pics there. It was really a beautiful part of the old city.
This is the largest mosque in Casa. If you google the city, this is one of the first landmarks that people want to see. It is called Hassan 2 after the former king. It is enourmous and the tile work is amazing. I will probably try to tour it eventually, but there wasn't time for that.

So, this is as close to the beach as I have been so far. It is quite a walk and with my current foot issues, it hasn't seemed like a great idea so far. I am waiting to catch a ride with someone.

We ate a great beach resort restaurant with an amazing view of the water for lunch. I had a chicken panini sandwich and a glass of freshly squeezed apple juice (well, I'm not sure that squeezing was the process, but it was pulpy and fresh) :)

We also saw a train station which I hope to take at some point in my journey here.

Language learning is a process. Being out yesterday afforded me the opportunity to use some of the Derija (Arabic) and French. I am continually surprised by the amount of times i have to stop myself because my first thought to answer is in Spanish... who would have thought that? :)

I so enjoyed the city tour, but was exahusted and my little foot was quite tired. I decided to take the day off today. I have watched the 2nd season of The Closer... the English in my head has become much more southern than normal. I gave my roommate a disclaimer so if I begin speaking more southern she would know why... she's from the northeast... she just laughed...

I am feeling good about being here, but look forward to having a schedule soon. I will be grateful to get into school and teaching.

I am amazed how my heart has changed over these past couple of years. For a while teaching was so far from my passion. I would not say that it's my passion now exactly, but it is closer. I think my passion is people and their hearts.

Establishing yourself in new place is hard. I am thankful to be here, but I don't want to take on too much to fast. So, the day off has been great.

There are more pictures on facebook if you want a look.

6 comments:

jermswif said...

Good to hear from you. Stay encouraged! Its a long journey that God has brought you on. I admire your will to listen and to obey!!!

Beverly said...

Hi Staci - looks pretty. What is the weather like? Must be warm, I read about your fan.

Laurel said...

I have added you to my favs:) i will figure out this technology thing soon enough:)

april said...

Looks like a beautiful place! If I win the lottery I'm going to come visit you. :) I'm glad you're adjusting and I can't wait to see the things God is going to do.

Laurel said...

So, you do have a roommate. You will need to tell us more about your living arrangement as time permits.

Patricia said...

Looks like a great apartment! And the kitchen, well...I don't know that I have words for the great kitchen...haha! I am so excited for you! And so glad that God put this opportunity in front of you! And not just that, that you jumped on it. I will be praying for your foot. I know the feeling...almost a year later since I had foot surgery and I am still feeling the healing process from it. Have a great week!