Thursday, August 14, 2008

First Days

Well, I have had my first official days here in the new country.

Some of you know a little of my story getting here. It began with a stolen wallet and Ipod which was before I left home. It continued as I arrived at the airport and my flight was cancelled, my next flight delayed and then missing my flight into the country. I had to get my own hotel room by myself at 1 am which ended up being in Queens. It was VERY expensive, but it allowed me to rest before my overnight flight into the country. My first night I slept about 15 hours total.

We started our orientation process on Wednesday. There are many new people from various walks of life here. It will be great getting to know them all.

I have had 2 native dishes from the region made by nationals. They were wonderful. Yesterday's had chicken with a curry seasoning and then apricots and almonds cooked on it. It was so good. Today's dish was made of cous cous and had chicken with some veggies and some raisins on top. I ate both meals with my fingers... thank you very much that is what is normal and customary here. ;)

I also had my first experience with a mall today. Well, it was sort of like a mall and in a way like a Wal-Mart. There were small boutique stores with specialty clothing, accessories, and other things. Then in the middle of the big "mall" there is a store with most everything you may need. I got really overwhelmed really quickly as I saw so many new things. Almost all of the labels are in Arabic and French.

We also had our first Arabic lesson today. I cannot make it look like Spanish or English so my brain went a little crazy. French seems to be coming a little more naturally.

I am trying to take it easy as I spend time getting used to the climate and all the new people. I am having fun.... :)

My foot is doing ok. I am trying to stay off of it. You can pray for my continued perfect healing. Also for my body to adjust to the time difference.

I am encouraged about being here. There are so many interesting, heartfelt stories.

I'll try to update as soon as I can. B'slama.

8 comments:

sugarsnappeas said...

Staci

I am trying to be your first comment. Great to hear from you. Hope your foot is doing well! And I hope you have found some good coffee!
Lisa Horn

Unknown said...

Yahhh Staci! I've added you to my blogroll so I will check in frequently and can't wait to hear about all of your adventures!

Leigh said...

What a wonderful first few days! You'll have to post recipes from your culinary adventures so that we can "follow along!" Are you taking tons of photos yet? I, for one, would love to see you at the ocean! Have a wonderful few weeks before school starts and keep us posted!

Beverly said...

Staci - gee, I hope I have this figured out! We shall see.. what a wonderful adventure, it sounds beautiful and the food must be fun to try and experience new things. I'm so proud for you and have added your blog to my favorites.
Beverly

april said...

Hey Staci! I love your blog name. :) Very appropriate. I'm glad that things are going well! I'll check in with you often.

Love ya!
April

Betty said...

Staci,

Pat sent me your blog link. I am glad you made it there and are enjoying the journey. It sounds like your journey started out kinda rough, but you seem to have a great prespective on it. Praying for your health, foot, language studies and sleep. Cannot wait to hear the adventures and people He has planned for you,

Betty Toler

Anonymous said...

Staci,
Glad you are enjoying the food. Need to get some of the recipes. Chicken with apricots...sounds good. I added you to my bookmarks too.

Aunt Linda

Unknown said...

I am really excited for you! Sorry we weren't able to talk before you left, but Mom said she gave you my email address. If the have chicken shawarma sandwiches you need to gorge yourself on them. I hope all is well, and I must admit, I am a bit jealous! ha
Brittany Morris